Monday, January 6, 2014

Solving Breakfast: Buckwheat Pumpkin Muffins

This is going to be a short one today.  I have lots to blog about, but little time, so some things will have to wait 'til later this week, but let's just get to the most important thing first, shall we?


Buckwheat Pumpkin Muffins

These muffins are by far the BEST gluten-free pumpkin muffins I've made.  And I love that they are made with buckwheat, and generally speaking, when you bake with buckwheat you don't really need xanthan gum, which is pretty much required for all other types of GF baking in order for things to "hold together".    They are spicy, and almost gingerbread-y, in my opinion.   The recipe calls for sucanat or honey as the sweetener...I used a combo of sucanat and coconut sugar (dehydrated coconut nectar, available at health food stores).  Instead of water I used apple juice.  Heavenly--ahhh, ahhh!  (Angels singing)

Go get the recipe:  http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2013/09/26/fall-recipe-connection-best-gluten-free-pumpkin-muffins-dairy-free-egg-free-corn-free-soy-free-nut-free/

I made a double batch of these today.  I'm going to save some for tomorrow, and freeze the rest for quick breakfasts next week.  I say, slather these babies up with some nut butter, add a banana, and "milk" of choice, and it works, know what I mean?

Tomorrow I'm going to be making some "egg cups"--go HERE to see my previous post about how to make those little gems.  I'm going to use some organic hash brown shreds from the freezer, some of the zucchini I dehydrated last summer, and some Roma tomatoes I froze.

I'm working every day this week on getting the freezer and pantry cleaned out and used up.  Stuff from the summer market has been in there long enough--time to use it up.  And the pantry...I'm just using up bits and pieces of staple items so I can rotate up and get fresh and organized. 

So today I used the last of my sucanat and coconut sugar in the muffins, and my 2nd-to-last can of pumpkin.  I made a loaf of GF bread for the family from a mix in the pantry, and we're having sandwiches on it tonight with the turkey breast I thawed and roasted Friday, and homemade cranberry sauce leftover from Thanksgiving that I froze--it thawed beautifully by the way!  (Next year I'm making it up early and freezing it!  One less thing to do at Thanksgiving time when I'm busy.)  AND...we're having tomato soup to go with the sandwiches:  that uses up some of my frozen tomatoes and the bone stock I made from the turkey carcass!  Woo hoo, my freezer is looking more and more bare!  I'll post some pics in a few days. 

Meanwhile...how is your freezer and/or pantry challenge coming along?  What crazy things are you using up, and serving up, this week?

2 comments:

  1. Every week, I do a noon-hour nutrition education lunch for mostly staff. I made egg cups and whole wheat pumpkin muffins!! They were both a success. It's so funny; whenever I introduce a new dish or new ingredient, everyone is a bit weary, but they all loved them. I made the muffins with whole wheat flour, I didn't need to make them GF so I didn't. 'Cause that's how I roll. ;) I used half unsweetened organic applesauce and half good 'ol butter. For the egg cups, I used frozen shredded zuc from the garden last summer, and shredded carrots. Super yummy! Thanks for the meal plan...... ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad I could help get those creative juices flowing! Way to use up some of that frozen zucchini too! Fun. Wish I could be there for your classes. ;)

      Delete