Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mock Cheddar Broccoli Soup: Freezer Challenge Day 1 report

Day 1 of the freezer challenge went surprisingly well. 

Items used out of the freezer:  Salmon burgers, a bag of organic mixed veggies, a bag of organic broccoli. 

Fridge items used up: 1/2 can of leftover pumpkin  (That's a tough one to incorporate....score!) and 2 cups of homemade chicken stock.

You're not gonna believe what I made; it was so weird, but strangely enough, the addition of pumpkin and coconut milk to broccoli soup makes it look and taste like CHEDDAR broccoli soup!!?!?  There's no way I was going to tell my family "this is pumpkin broccoli soup".  So at first I called it "Autumn Vegetable Bisque"....then when I tasted it I switched the name to "Mock Cheddar Broccoli Soup"!! ;)  Clever Mama.

Sorry I can't be more precise...but here's what I did:

  • 1 bag of frozen organic broccoli (not a huge bag, like a 6" x 8" size?)
  • 2 c. chicken stock
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 heaping teaspoon instant chicken flavored base (Vogue Cuisine)

Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer til broccoli is tender enough to blend...

Then add in:

  • pumpkin puree--I used about 1/2 to 3/4 c.
  • about 1/4 of a can of coconut milk (Native Forrest Organic)
Bend with an immersion blender until smooth. 

Then I seasoned it with:
  • 1 tsp Herbamare seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
It was really, really good!  I heated up the leftovers in the microwave this morning and put it in an insulated coffee mug.  I drank it for breakfast on my way in to town.  However the coconut milk does tend to make me a little congested and makes my throat or thyroid swell up a little bit.  Odd reaction, but it happens every time.  So I'll have to come up with some other milk substitute next time.  Cashew milk would be great I think (or cream or half and half, if you can have dairy).

Along with the soup we had wild salmon burgers on GF buns (I used a bottom bun only, and used lettuce leaves for the top) with tartar sauce, and mixed veggies on the side.

It was all a big hit, and made a dent in my freezer stash, so hooray.

Gotta say I am inspired by the soup.  I forget how easy it is to just make a soup really quick to go with dinner, and now that fresh veggies are just not all that great we're eating less side salads, so it's time for side veggies to be in soup form instead for a while.

What came out of your freezer today and how did you use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment