Tuesday, September 3, 2013

#14 Shredded Tomatillo-Chicken Filling

One of the things I'm loving best about cooking through Slow Cooker Revolution is a delightfully useful chapter on taco fillings.  The Shredded Beef I posted last month came from that section, and so does the recipe I made today, "Shredded Tomatillo-Chicken Filling".

This recipe feels and tastes very authentic.  It's a very fun thing to do, and we LOVE all kinds of Mexican/Latin American foods around here.

True confession time:  Once upon a time (last year) a group from our church got together to make tamales to help fund an upcoming mission trip.  I eagerly showed up to help, but...ok, truth be told:  it was not out of a heart to help fund the mission trip.  Actually...I just really wanted to spend time with the Hispanic ladies in our congregation who were heading it up, and learn authentic tamale making from them.  Ok, I said it!  My secret is out.  Is that really bad, that my motivations were so selfish?  Maybe, but it's the truth.  And it was SO fun!  I learned a lot, and had a great time.  Personally I think tamale-making is something you have to be handed down, you can't just read it in a book, or watch it on you tube.  It's personal.  And hey...ultimately, the mission trip got funded, so it's all good.

Ok, sorry...back to the topic: 

This was a VERY fun recipe to make.  *I'm going to just warn you ahead of time:  this one was not posted anywhere on the internet, and I can't post it here (the legality of doing so without asking permission is in question...).  So you will have to check the book for the recipe...as I've recommended before, avail yourself of your local library's services!  Our local library has it, and I'm betting your does too, or they could borrow it from another library for you. 
 
 
So this recipe starts out with a couple of Poblanos, and couple of Jalapenos, and several Tomatillos.  For anyone who has never worked with tomatillos (I hadn't before), when you take the husk off you'll notice that the green fruit inside is covered with a sticky/almost waxy-feeling coating.  I was just a tad bit alarmed!  A quick google reassured me that this is totally normal, and if it doesn't wash off all the way, no worries.  Apparently it actually contains part of the essence and flavor of the tomatillo, so yay!  Who knew??  Well, lots of people.  But not me. 

You roast those veggies up in the oven under the broiler, along with some oil and spices, then they take a spin in the food processor. 
This took 7 minutes under the broiler.  You want them a little blackened.

Then it's just: chicken + your pureed pepper mix + 3 1/2 hours on low in your slow cooker = some muy bueno Latin American eats!!
Before it was cooked...
 
And after. 
 

The recipe said 4-6 hrs on low.  As usual, this much time would have utterly ruined the chicken.  As always...check it way earlier.  I used 2 lbs of thighs, instead of 1 lb thighs and 1 lb breasts.  Mine was tender and lovely in 3 hrs and 18 minutes, to be precise.

It was lovely, and I would TOTALLY make this again all the time. But, in a pinch, I'd probably just pressure cook the thighs for 6 minutes, til they are fantastically tender and juicy, and perfectly done, and then shred 'em and toss 'em with some nice-quality, store bought tomatillo salsa.  Just sayin'.  It's probably pretty close.  And takes just a fraction of the time.  Though nowhere near as fresh and authentic, but...it would work when pressed for time.  (I'm sure all my sweet little honorary Latin American Abuelas (Grandmas) out there are closing their eyes, and shaking their heads right now.  Yes, I know dear Grandmas, it's just not quite the same.)

If you have a pressure cooker, count yourself blessed!  It's a HUGE timesaving device, and honestly, I think it makes the tenderest, juiciest chicken ever...every bit as juicy as a stoneware baker.  Brilliant.  So if you have a pressure cooker, pull it out and use it man! 

People are always a little scared of pressure cookers...probably the result of some sort of scary urban legend that circulates, about pressure cookers blowing up and painting the kitchen ceiling with pea soup.  Maybe back in the day, but modern pressure cookers have built-in safety features to prevent that sort of thing.  So no garage sale specials on this appliance, my friends.  If you're going to get one, splurge on a brand new one--stainless steel, not aluminum, and go 6 quart size at least so you can make enough food to make it worth your while.  (Please note that a pressure cooker is not the same thing as a pressure canner.  A pressure cooker is a pot...a big saucepan, for cooking food in directly.  A pressure canner is for canning food in jars...like green beans and corn.  I mention that because there are a lot of pressure canners on sale right now in the stores, because it is canning season.)  Read the instructions carefully.  I also recommend getting yourself a great resource book on the subject of pressure cooking, with helpful time charts in it, like: Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes.

It takes 6 minutes of actual cook time to perfectly cook 6 chicken thighs in the pressure cooker.  Personally, I just put them in the bottom of pressure cooker and add 1/2 cup water.  Secure the lid, bring up to pressure, and cook 6 minutes.  Take it off the heat, and let the pressure drop naturally.  When the pin drops and it's safe to open the lid, I carefully open it, take out, check for doneness, and shred the chicken thighs with two forks.  Best chicken.  Evah.

I'm going to spend an hour this week just simply pressure cooking up some chicken thighs.  I need those.  Already cooked.  It helps dinner get done on busy nights.  I'll make some freezer burritos with some of them, toss some with tomatillo salsa, and bag and freeze it for quick tacos or tostadas, or salads...and some I'll just bag and freeze plain for fast soups.

But to wrap up the "Shredded Tomatillo-Chicken Filling" review:  Loved it.  Love the book.  But I wouldn't do it every week.  Just when the pepper and tomatillos are irresistably ripe at the farmers market, and when I have the inclination to do something fun and authentic.  As I said, we are all HUGE fans of all kinds of Mexican and South American foods, so I will certainly be putting this recipe into the rotation.  It really isn't a lot of work, and it is very fun to do.  But, sometimes, I'll probably go the  jarred tomatillo salsa route, and we will be happy with that too. 

*UPDATE:  Ok, so after letting this sit in the fridge overnight, I have to take back what I said about taking a shortcut sometimes.  I just can't.  It's was too good.  I mean, it really was.  Instead I am going to try to streamline the process by roasting and processing the peppers, then bagging and freezing.  Then, hopefully, I will be able to just thaw, and pour over chicken thighs and slow cook for a quick version.  I am going to buy tomatillos, peppers, etc. to do up about 6 batches for the freezer this weekend, and we shall see how that goes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment