Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Freezing tomatoes--'tis the season.

Like it or not, the fruit and veggie seasons are quickly coming and going.  They are not stopping to wait for me to be less busy so that I can freeze, dehydrate, and can them.  No, I have to work around their schedule, not vice versa.

Right now it's tomatoes.  They are coming to the farmers market by the box-load.  I picked up a 20 lb box on Saturday, so that I can have some summer-sunshine in my lunches and dinners through the dark winter months.  But...time is of the essence, so I had to figure out how to best get this job done quickly.

I learned something great from a lady at the farmer's market, who grows a lot of the things we've been eating all summer.  She told me she just freezes her tomatoes, whole.  Then when she wants to use them, she just runs them under the tap water, and the skins slip right off.  Cut out the core, and they are ready to go into the pot for soups, stews and sauces.

The idea intreagues me, because...lets be honest...it involves, like, no work whatsoever, and virtually no time investment, unlike canning, and even dehydrating (which is far less work than canning, in my opinion).

So I looked for a reliable web resource to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and to make sure this was a safe and well-tested food preservation technique.  Major university extension departments are usually the best place to find such information, as they usually have up-to-the-minute research, and funding for new research all the time, on the topic of food safety and preservation.

The first university document I came up with on the particular technique was out of UC Davis.  I will link it for you right here .  This document recommends cutting out the stem scar prior to freezing.  Our own county extension agent (who I've been spending a lot of time with lately...I've been taking lots excellent food preservation classes from her) suggested perhaps leaving the stem scar intact to reduce cut surface area that would be more prone to freezer burn.  That was simpler and less messy, so I decide to try that route.

I wish I had the time right now to can tomatoes and make and can salsa, but this isn't the best time for immersion in such a delightful pursuit, sadly.  And tomato season waits for no man (or woman).  So I gotta just "make hay while the sun shines", and get them stored up as quickly as possible.

Truthfully, there's NOTHING like summer tomatoes.  They can not be replicated by those cardboard-tasting imposters that masquerade as tomatoes in the stores in the dead of winter.  (Those things make me sad.)  The next best thing is commercially canned, in my opinion, especially Muir Glen fire roasted (my fave)...but I don't love to serve food that comes out of a can super often, because of BPA in the can lining.  I'm not going to freak out over using some commercially canned tomatoes sometimes...but...the less BPA the better, in my opinion; and these freezer bags are BPA free.

Here's the 20 lb box I bought.  Paid $20. for it.


I washed the tomatoes and dried them off.  Then laid them on parchment-lined baking sheets and stuck them in the freezer.



The next day I took the rock-hard frozen tomatoes and sealed them up in vacuum-sealed food saver bags, but you could easily just use freezer ziplock bags.  Just try to squeeze as much air out of them as possible before sealing.

Use oven mits to handle the cold trays, and then use tongs to transfer the frozen tomatoes into bags, so you don't freeze your fingers!


Into the deep freezer you go.  See you in December.

6 comments:

  1. This is so crazy, Elese!!! You will not believe what is in the bottom of my deep freeze..............5 bags of whole tomatoes!!! It's like we have ESPN or something ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh too funny, Jan! Do you do them like that every year? How do you like them coming out of the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first year doing it. Before this, I only had 2-3 tomato plants so didn't need to preserve them. I have only heard good things about this technique. My boss (who is a former extension food preservationist to the max [she preserved meat on the riverbanks in Alaska with the Natives!]) is the one who recommended it to me. I am dreaming about the chili, tomato soup, pasta sauce...........I could go on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have a fascinating boss...sounds like somebody I'd love to hang out with. Yes, I'm with you Jan, I think these tomatoes, preserved raw like this, will be best utilized in long cooking things like chili an stews. I used to freeze tomatoes by removing the skins, chopping and then freezing raw, but I thought they were too acidic when I tried to use them in quicker things like fast soups that don't simmer very long...I don't know why. Maybe it was just that batch of tomatoes? At any rate I'm thinking I'm going to give these ones a nice long simmer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I made chili this weekend with the frozen, whole, raw tomatoes that were in my freezer.........a couple things:
    1. SUPER EASY to remove skins, just put them in a bowl of hot (not even boiling) water for about a minute and they slide right off!
    2. I defrosted them a bit in the microwave because....
    3. I do not like tomato seeds in my chili/soup/sauce so it was somewhat of a pain because I wanted chunky, not puree. So, after defrosting, I mushed/cut tomatoes enough to get most of the seeds out, didn't get all of them, though....
    Just wondering if there would be a better way to use whole, frozen tomatoes but still get the seeds out..................???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, good question Jan. I'm thinking you'd have to cut them in 1/2 and squeeze out the seeds prior to freezing...or put the tomatoes through a food mill to remove the seeds, but then you're left with tomato puree, not chunks of tomato, like you might want for chili.

    ReplyDelete