Friday, August 16, 2013

My Crocks like to Par-Tay!!

 
 
 
Crocks just wanna have fun.
 
 
Meet our family's newest addition...
 

Welcome to our home, 4 qt. Crock-Pot "Cook and Carry". 

I got a smokin' deal on this baby...$27.99, (regular price was $39.99), and it has a locking lid for traveling.  You know I just couldn't resist.

So earlier tonight we hosted dinner for 15 people.  My crocks love to get out and mingle. 

I made 5 lbs. of ground beef taco meat early in the day, and put it in the fridge.  Then before dinner I reheated it, and kept it warm for serving in my 4 qt oval.  A batch of Lime Salsa Chicken went into my new little buddy here early in the day, since it had to cook 6-7 hrs.  My 2 qt round kept the corn tortillas nice and cozy.  I set 'em all up in a buffet with all the taco fixin's.

It worked really slick to feed that many people this way.  Everything was done up ahead of time, so I wasn't standing in a kitchen of dirty dishes working on last minute food prep. 

And you know...it's got me thinking.  What other ways can I call these little workhorses into action?

A lot of the 52 recipes I'm testing are going to happen in late September, and October.  They use fall produce, like acorn and butternut squash, pumpkin, apples and pears.  There are several warm spicy chilis, soups, and stews in the line-up.  I can't wait to test these, because if they work well, they will make some great harvest-party food.

There are several recipes I can't wait to test to see if they can help me out Thanksgiving day: "Glazed Carrots for a Crowd", and "Mashed Potatoes", "Balsamic-Glazed Beets with Toasted Walnuts"...it would be so great to have these things done and waiting.

I'll be the first to admit, food can often be cooked better in the oven, dutch oven, skillet, or pressure cooker, but as I've said before...the BIG draw of slow cookers for me is the fact that it's DONE.  So if I can get good quality in the slow cooker (maybe not always quite as good as by another cooking method, but pretty darn close)...you know what?  I'm gonna take it, and be grateful for it. 

With the slow cooker, dishes are done, kitchen is clean, and there's nothing left to do but enjoy.  And that makes for a happy mommy.  So when the guests go home, I'm not standing there all night doing dishes.  Instead, Mama gets to sit down with a cup of tea and blog about it all! ;)  And that counts for a lot.

In the words of Thoreau:  "...simplify, simplify."

Healthy, good, homemade food is nourishing, absolutely necessary, and vitally important.  It can also be a lot of work, 3 times a day, 365 days a year.  But I'm not gonna let it consume all my time, or rule my life.  I'll take any help and shortcuts I can get.  Balance.  Simplify.  'Cuz moms just wanna have fun too.

I'm looking forward to more great fellowship with friends and family, sharing meals together, a lot more often this fall.  I'm loving the gift my slow cookers are giving me; the ability to be joyful, relaxed, and welcoming. 




No comments:

Post a Comment