Monday, August 12, 2013

#4 Quinoa and peaches and berries...oh my!



As I've mentioned before...grains and I are not the best of friends.  They fall into 3 categories for me: 

Red light (as in STOP!  Do not proceed!):  Gluten and I are bitter enemies--so wheat, rye, and barley are 100% out of the question while I walk this earth. 

Yellow light (as in proceed with caution):  Now rice, corn, and certified gluten-free oats...we get along slightly better.  We cautiously tolerate each other--in very small amounts, and on occasion. 

Green light (as in, proceed, but don't go crazy):  There are some grains that are somewhat cordial and friendly to me.  As long as our meetings are brief, infrequent, and not excessive, we get along just fine.  We shake hands, exchange pleasantries, chat about the weather, and then go our separate ways.  These are the grains I can tolerate:  Teff, sorghum, buckwheat (which is gluten-free, despite it's wheaty-sounding name) and the oft-debated (are they grains or not?) quinoa, and wild rice.  Technically, quinoa and wild rice are seeds; the seeds of an herb.  But by golly, they look and act just like a grain, and so they kinda live in that gray area.

Now, although I can tolerate these grains fairly decently, I still gotta treat them like a treat, or a condiment, or a small side dish.  Excessive amounts of carbohydrates (sugars) in any form (too many grains, white potatoes, too much fruit, and too much sugar like honey/dates/maple syrup) tend to have a sedating effect on me, personally.  I get sleepy and feel unmotivated and bogged down...AND I will pack weight on faster than you can say "corn-fed".  So bottom line on grains: Balance.  I have to listen and pay attention...the body will speak loud and clear about what works and what doesn't.

On to the recipe! 

Test #4:  "Cinnamon Quinoa with Peaches" from Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook, by the American Heart Association.



I used truRoots brand organic sprouted quinoa.  It's already sprouted so it cooks up quickly.  The package says 15 minutes on the stovetop. This crock pot recipe said 2 hrs on low or 1 hr on high.  I wanted to test this recipe for actual busy week-morning use, so I popped it in my 2 qt crock, on high, grabbed my hat and walking shoes and headed out for a quick walk.  After one hour it was smelling yummy, but not done just yet.  The water was not absorbed, so I stirred it and put the lid back on, just slightly off-set to let some moisture escape.  It ended up taking a total of 1 hr and 15 minutes to cook to the point where I was happy with it.

Cooking quinoa in the slow cooker is simple:  I greased the pot with olive oil for easier clean-up, then this recipe calls for: 2 1/2 cups water, 1 cup quinoa and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Lid on, let it cook.

This recipe calls for frozen peaches, diced, and pecans.  I used fresh peaches and blueberries (What was left from Saturday's farmers market trip) and skipped the nuts, just 'cuz I forgot about them.  The recipe calls for "fat-free half and half"...instead I used lovely, creamy, organic, full-fat half and half.  Coconut milk would probably be scrumptious.  The recipe says to mix the half and half with sugar and vanilla to drizzle on top.  I drizzled on a bit of pure maple syrup instead of sugar and vanilla.

Here's what it looked like with the half and half...mmm.


Oh.  My.  This was heavenly.  I would absolutely make this again, and it was quick and easy enough I'd definitely do it week-mornings.  Just pop it in the crock when I first get up, set a timer--important!--and go get ready while it cooks...no watching a pot on the stovetop.  I'd definitely add some walnuts or pecans for an extra boost of protein.  I'm a big morning protein eater...so we shall see how long this grain/fruit breakfast sticks with me.

I'm really, really enjoying this cookbook so far.  Everything has been accurate and taste-test approved.  I also really like the shadow box they put at the top of each recipe for a quick-glance on what size of slow-cooker to use and time.

Be sure to always thoroughly rinse your grains, and for some fascinating reading on how to properly soak and cook grains for maximum digestibility, may I recommend Sally Fallon's encyclopedic work Nourishing Traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment