Saturday, August 10, 2013

#2 Something's fishy around here...

 

Today's Farmer's Market Gems 
Green beans, peaches, donut peaches, kale, blueberries, and tiny Yukon Gold potatoes.
 
 
I've always been a little scared of fish in the slow cooker.  But adventure is the name of this game, so throwing caution to the wind I made "Tilapia with Lemon Potatoes" from Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook....kind of.  Instead of tilapia I used wild cod, because I had it in the fridge, and it was $5./lb.  Instead of red potatoes, I used those adorable tiny Yukon Gold's I bought at the farmers market this morning.
 
So here's the gist of it:  I used a pound and a half of the tiny Yukons, scrubbed, and cut in 1/2.  Put them in the 6 qt round slow cooker.  Then the recipe calls for chicken broth, sliced onion, pressed garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.  It says to thin slice the potatoes and all that should cook 5 hours on high, but my tiny Yukons were done in 2 hrs. 45 minutes.  Then you just season your fish and lay it right on top of the cooked potatoes!  Put the lid back on and in 30 minutes...voila!  Lovely, tender, flaky fish!  It was so fun to watch this all happen.  Here's what the potato and broth mixture looked like going in:
 
 
Once the fish is done, the recipe says to serve it in a bowl, topped with the broth mixture, but I just drizzled the sauce over everything, and added normal potato and fish type condiments.  I topped the fish with sliced green onions, but after tasting it I thought it needed a dollop of fresh guacamole.  The potatoes needed a dollop of full-fat sour cream.  I served it all up with the green beans I bought at the market, and sliced tomatoes from my mom's garden.
 
 
I liked this meal a lot.  The potatoes were tender and lovely cooked in that flavorful liquid.  And the fish was flaky and tender too...but not very flavorful for me, hence the guacamole...or salsa would be great too.  I liked that there was no major mess to clean up, since the fish just goes right in on top of the potatoes.  I'll definitely make this one again.
 
*Update:  The next day the leftover fish made some lovely fish tacos, wrapped in a tortillas with tartar sauce, avocado, tomato,and cabbage.  However the potatoes did not fare so well...we tried to use them chopped up and scrambled with eggs, but they had a "fishy" flavor.  Also note, watch the fish closely, it may take less than the time stated depending upon thickness.



No comments:

Post a Comment